Aims and scope
This toolkit provides insights into three [sic] key questions for regions intransition.
- How to build effective governance models?
- How to design and implement stakeholder engagement processes?
- What role does social dialogue play in the governance of the transition?
- How to increase the role of civil society in the transition?
Who is this toolkit for?
- Regional and local authorities.
- Governmental agencies responsible for regional development.
- Civil society organisations.
Why do we need this guidance?
- Regional transitions require multiple stakeholders tocoordinate efforts. This is particularly difficult since coal regionsoften do not correspond to a clear administrative boundary.
- A participatory and inclusive process builds and ensuresownership and strengthens the legitimacy of the transition.
- The involvement of civil society within transition governance isoften cited by regions as a particular challenge.
What is governance?
The various ways in which different actors and factors worktogether in the pursuit of a collective goal, and the formal andinformal means by which they can be influenced.
European Commission. (2020). Governance of transitions: Design of governance structures and stakeholder engagement processes for coal regions in transition. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/energy/topics/oil-gas-and-coal/EU-coal-regions/resources/governance-transitions-toolkit_en