To deliver this commitment, the Queensland Government has developed the North Stradbroke Island Economic Transition Strategy with initiatives which aim to:
- diversify and expand the current tourism industry
- expand education and training opportunities
- stimulate local business development and growth.
The Queensland Government has allocated $20 million to drive this strategy and facilitate stakeholder co-investment to deliver a sustainable economy. The strategy is further supported by an additional $3.87 million in-kind Queensland Government contributions for identified initiatives and $5 million to help mine workers pursue new employment opportunities.
The strategy presents a range of exciting future opportunities for North Stradbroke Island including:
- up to 151 direct and ongoing jobs
- ability to leverage $40 million private sector and stakeholder co-investment
- growth in international and domestic tourism markets
- establishment of new adventure tourism operations
- new training and educational service offerings
- growth in existing local business services
- development of new industry sectors focusing on seafood, forestry and timber products, and traditional medicines through capability development and business development funds.
Queensland Department of State Development. (2016). North Stradbroke Island economic transition strategy. Retrieved from https://www.statedevelopment.qld.gov.au/resources/strategy/nsi/nsi-economic-transition-strategy.pdf